Monday, February 7, 2011

Babysitting = Birthcontrol

"Alli!! This is my booster seat, and it is going into your car.  And I get to go with it.  And Cinderella is my favorite princess.  You have a sparkley diamond in your nose, and it makes you pretty like a princess.  And... we are out of strawberry poptarts at my house!!" -Zoe

So, I spent the entire weekend playing "mom" to 3 awesome kiddos.  Can I just say... having 3 kids for 3 days is the BEST form of birthcontrol, like EVER.  Period.  Not that I didn't have fun... but I was quite happy to turn them over to mom and dad on Sunday afternoon. 

Here is the cliffnotes version of the way home from picking them up from preschool and the babysitters on Friday afternoon:  3 yr old Zoe is sitting in her booster seat, demostrating how she can could to 89.  "Look Alli!  I can count to 89!  1, 2, 3, 4..." (though we skipped 9, 19, 29, etc.  I'm not sure how we were going to actually count to 89... but it's all good). 

In the middle of the backseat was 5 yr old Mark.  At the same time Zoe was showing me how she could count, Mark was having a mini-meltdown because "Alli! We are on the 91 east!  We need to be on the 91 west to get home... we are never, ever, ever going to get home if you go this way!!!"  And there were tears.  Big, huge, crocadile tears.  Trying not to laugh, I looked back at them in my rearview mirror and told Mark that we were going to be fine. 

As all of this is going on, the baby, 2 yr old Seth is sitting in his carseat, staring at the other two.  The look on his face was priceless.  It was utter disgust for his siblings.  They were annoying him, and I could tell he was contemplating his next move.  As we are stuck in traffic, I watched all three kids in the back seat.  Slowly the baby lifted his hand, positioned himself so he could get a good amount of power, and... WHACK!  Smacks his older brother in the face at full speed!  

There was silence.  Trying my best to fight back laughter (cuz, lets face it, it was hilarious), I turned around and told the baby that he was not allowed to hit people.  Then, the tears started again, only this time it was Mark crying "Alli!!! Seth hit me!!!  And, you are laughing at me!!!"  (And guess what Mark, we are still on the freeway going the wrong way, and we will never get home).  

While blow drying my hair on Saturday, I found it difficult to do so with a 2 yr old sitting on my right foot and a 3 yr old trying to rub the tattoo off my left foot.  "Alli!?" she said in disbelief, "Why can't I rub this off your foot???  And, Alli?!  Why didn't I grow one of these on my foot??"  

The goal on Sunday was to get everyone up and ready and be at church for the 9AM service.  When the baby ran into the bedroom @ 6AM looking for mommy, settled for Alli, snuggled and fell back asleep for 2 hours I realized that I was shooting for the impossible.  We did however, get out of the house, through the starbucks drive-thru (thank God for caffine), and to church just in time for the 10:30 service. 

All you parents out there, I give you major kuddos.  I was a dead person on Saturday after everyone was finally in bed sleeping.  I fell down onto the bed, grabbed my cell phone to check the text messages I'd been ignoring all day, and saw that it was 8:59pm, and I could barely move I was so exhuasted.  How lame.  Anyway... thanks Melissa for letting me borrow your kids for the weekend- and for renewing the "no babies right now" mindset :)

No comments:

Post a Comment